Blueberry Thyme Quick Bread
When my kids were young, they LOVED warm blueberry bread fresh from the oven. I am pretty sure it's the first dish my daughter learned to bake. Confession time... Sometimes, it was as simple as a boxed mix with blueberries added in to make it a little more special.
This recipe is an elevated version compared to that boxed mix and features a classic pairing of blueberries with fresh thyme. Sounds fancy but it's really easy AND delicious! It's perfect during the summer months when blueberries are in season or any other time of year... just substitute frozen blueberries.
Give it a try!
Blueberry Thyme Quick Bread Recipe
recipe adapted from platedcravings.com
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 Tbsp Blueberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour an 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and thyme in a large bowl.
- Stir milk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract into flour mixture until batter is just combined.
- Toss fresh blueberries with 1 tsp of flour and gently fold them into the batter. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Add Blueberry Jam on top of batter and use a knife or skewer to gently swirl it into the top layer of batter.
- Bake on center rack until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
If you decide to use frozen blueberries instead of fresh, that will work but, do not thaw them.
Also, If you wish, you can add the zest of one lemon to the mix for added flavor.
To Freeze: wrap whole loaf or individual slices in 2 layers of foil or plastic wrap and place inside a well sealed freezer bag for up to 3 months.